Tips for Travelers
The people of Jamaica are very friendly and outgoing. While enjoying the beautiful beaches you may be approached by vendors. Many people are licensed by the government and may have a booth set up on the beach to show off their merchandise. These locals are happy to engage in conversation and to show off their inventory; however, it is recommended you do not touch the merchandise unless you plan to make a purchase.
If you do not wish to converse with vendors on the beach, simply say, “No thank you.” The locals will not be offended.
If you love to hit the links then Negril is the place for you! You can never have a bad day of golf when you are in Jamaica!
- Tryall Hills: This course was the home of the Johnnie Walker Red PGA tournament for many years and is considered to be the best course on the island. Enjoy gorgeous ocean views from almost every tee box.
- Negril Hills: This is the closest to The Yellow Bird – be prepared to navigate the hills on this course!
- The Half Moon: Recently renovated, this exciting course offers challenges for golfers of all skill levels.
- Cinnamon Hill: A fun course for everyone. Be sure to ask which home on the course was Johnny Cash’s!
- White Witch: The best recognized course in the Caribbean, the course is owned and operated by the Ritz Carlton. Enjoy marvelous ocean views and finish your round of golf with an amazing meal at the hotel’s restaurant.
- The Sandal’s: A beautiful course located in the mountains.
- Runaway Bay: A level course for those golfers not ready to tackle hills!
- Grand Lido Bracho: A nice nine hole course, perfect for a quick round!
Many guests enjoy taking in the local culture of the island and the people of Jamaica are extremely friendly and kind. Negril has so much to offer visiting guests. From local bars to the gorgeous natural sights of the island, you can experience the “real” Jamaica just minutes from The Yellow Bird. Let us help you plan an excursion to meet your needs!
Here are some ways to explore the real Jamaica…
- Day trips to the countryside waterfalls, Black River Safari and many other beautiful tours
- Negril Hills 18 Hole Golf Course 876-957-4638
- Water Sports: Snorkeling, Scuba (876 957 4425), Parasailing, Jet Skiing
- Negril’s Historic Lighthouse: open everyday from 9am to sunset
- Royal Palm Reserve: 2nd largest wetland in Jamaica
- Waterfalls: Y-S, Mayfield and Dunn’s River
- Horseback riding on the beach, or into the hills
- Deep Sea Fishing
- Rafting on a bamboo raft gliding down several of the calm rivers
- Appleton Rum factory tour
- Cosmo’s Seafood Restaurant (876 957 4330)
- Charela Inn: fine French food (876 957 4648)
- Norma’s on the Beach Restaurant: fantastic food (876 957 4041)
- Kuyaba: great Jamaican food (876 957 4318)
- Bar B Barn: great Italian food and the best wine selection
- Rock House: great food on the cliffs: (876 957 4373)
- Margaritaville: great TVs and music
- Rick’s Café: cliff diving and good food (a must see)
- Tamboo: good pizza and great location.
- Wild Thing: day and sunset cruises (876 957 9930)
- Tryall Golf (876 956 5663)
- Swept Away Health Club (876 957 4061)
- Chukka Blue horse back ride and swim (876 979 6599)
- Alfred’s Ocean Palace: good lunch and live Reggae Tuesday, Friday and Sunday
- Bourbon Beach: the best chicken and Saturday Night live Reggae
- Roots: live Reggae Wednesday night
- The Jungle: dancing and gaming lounge Thursday, Friday and Saturday
- Timmair: gets you by plane to Negril in 15 minutes (876 957 5374)
Need a ride? call or email Mr Facey. He has a large van and can accommodate up to 10 passengers. Mr. Facey is very courteous and is an excellent driver. Call him direct at 867-790-0837 on his cell or at his home, 876-609-1588. His email is firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide your arrival itinerary and he will greet you just outside the airport exit with a sign (Yellow Bird).